Why ISO 27001 certification is unavoidable
Now a days, the ISO27001 standard has become an almost unavoidable factor in the field of information security. Compliance is unavoidable because most industries are heavily regulated. Seems like more legislations are on our way to redefine our actions on the internet. Because ISO 27001 requirements are largely a superset of other major standars and regulations, achieving ISO 27001 certification positions most organizations to be well on their way to meeting the requirements of PCI, SOX, HIPAA and GLBA.
1. Business managers of the organizations will make informed decisions regarding potential risk and should be able demonstrate compliance with standards and regulations such as SOX, GLBA, HIPAA, DPA to their critical information on regular basis.
2. An ISMS is a defensive mechanism to any APT (advanced persistent threat) to minimize the impact from these external threats of various cybercrime.
3. Informed information security decisions will be made based on risk assessment to implement technical, management, administrative and operational controls, which is the most cost effective way of reducing risk. Highest priority risks are tackled first to attain best ROI in information security.
4. Information security is not an IT responsibility; In general everybody in an organization is responsible for protecting information assets and more specifically business manager. The business manager may delegate their responsibility.
5. Organization will improve credibility and trust among internal stakeholder and external vendors. The credibility and trust are the key factors to win a business.
6. ISMS raises awareness throughout the business for information security risks, involve all employees throughout an organization and therefore lower the overall risk to the organization.
Related Books, Standards and Tools you may need to achieve ISO 27001 certification
Nine Steps to Success: an ISO 27001 Implementation Overview“It’s like having a $300/hr consultant at your elbow as you consider the aspects of gaining management support, planning, scoping, communication, etc…” Thomas F. Witwicki (amazon.com review)
IT Governance: An International Guide to Data Security and ISO27001/ISO27002
Covers simply everything you need to know about information security and ISO27001. It is also the UK’s Open University’s post-graduate information security textbook. All aspects of data protection / information security are covered including viruses, hackers, online fraud, privacy regulations, computer misuse, investigatory powers etc.
Official standards available in hardcopy and downloadable formats.
Standalone ISO 27001 ISMS Documentation Toolkit
This toolkit contains all the documents, procedures and templates you need to massively simplify your progress to certification. It will save you months of work, help you avoid costly trial-and-error dead-ends and ensure everything is covered to the current ISO 27001 standard.